Current research reports the trend of girls becoming increasingly disengaged in STEM subjects and women being under-represented in the STEM fields. At St Patrick’s College we are committed to bridging this gender gap by fostering a love of STEM and empowering our girls to achieve in these subject areas.
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) is a key focus area at St Patrick's College Townsville.
Students are actively encouraged to engage in STEM subjects and the College has a number of innovative EXTRACURRICULAR programs available to promote this field of study. In addition to the standard suite of science and mathematics subjects, the College also offers two new subjects, delivered by award-winning teachers:
- MARINE SCIENCE - Introduced to the STEM suite of subjects on offer for Years 11 & 12. For more information on our Marine Science curriculum, click here
- THE START UP - New subject introduced in 2018 for Years 9 &10 students focusing on design-thinking, entrepreneurism, STEM principles and business. For more information on The Start-Up curriculum, click here.
Extra-curricular STEM opportunities include:
- THINK LADIES - Robotics and coding workshops MIT (Massachusetts Institute Technology)
- CHEMISTRY PROGRAM through James Cook University and the Royal Australian Chemistry Institute
- USA SPACE TREK - Held every 2 years (next in 2020), students participate in the NASA Space Camp and the Advanced Space Academy Program in Huntsville.
- #STEM Like A Pat's Girl program involving workshops presented by organisations including James Cook University, ADF and Jar Aerospace (2018)
- CODING CLUB
- REEF GUARDIANS