More pages in this section
Careers and Vocational Education
St Patrick's College Townsville helps students identify their strengths and interests which can ultimately lead to career satisfaction. We also provide expert advice across a range of post-school options.
Our CAREERS service provides the following:
- Career Planning
- Advertising positions available
- Assistance with Career research
- University experiences
- Job applications
- Resume writing
- Coming Events
- Work Experience Program
- QTAC Applications
- One on one careers counseling
- One on one coaching for interview skills
Work Experience Program
- Students in Years 10, 11 and 12 may participate in the Work Experience Program which is optional. This is a valuable educational activity which enables the students to observe and participate in an area of employment that interests them. Students work in an industry of their choice for a period of time during their school holidays.
- The defence offer an amazing work experience program: https://defencecareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.listJobs&audiencetypecode=defenceworkexp
- The Townsville Hospital and Health Service provide a work experience that is in high demand. If your daughter is interested they need to email the HOF Careers/VET early in the year.
All work experience must be approved by the College and work experience contract is signed covering the student for insurance purposes.
Our VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING program includes:
- School Based Traineeships/Apprenticeships
- TAFE – VET in Schools Programme/ TCTC Programme and other providers
- Delivery of qualifications at St Patrick’s College 2020
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships
School Based Apprenticeships and School Based Traineeships allow students to train and do paid work in their chosen area while still studying for their QCE. Students should be capable of the additional work load and should be motivated.
Students sign a training agreement which commits you and your employer to the apprenticeship or traineeship.
Benefits for the student are:
- Contributes points towards Queensland Certificate of Education
- A head start in the job market
- Completion or progress toward the completion of a vocational qualification eg. Certificate III in Hospitality
- Paid employment for the time spent at work
- Training with a registered training organisation
- An easier move from school to work
- Gaining first-hand experience in the industry
TAFE – in Schools Program
Students interested in vocational careers are offered the opportunity to attend TAFE on a one-day a week basis to complete a Certificate II outcome by combining school and TAFE studies over a one period. Students must be in Year 11 or 12 to participate in this program. Completion of these certificates gains points towards the QCE.
Students must attend the TAFE College for one day per week for the school year and attend school on the remaining four days. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that they are up-to-date with any school work they miss while they are at TAFE.
TCTC – Townsville Creative Technologies College offers students the opportunity to study Print and Media, Information technology, Music Production, Game production.
STUDENTS MAY ONLY COMPLETE ONE FEE FREE COURSE UNDER THE VETIS PROGAM IN YEAR 11 OR 12.
Qualifications Delivered at St Patrick’s College Townsville
St Patrick’s College has formed partnerships with Binnacle Training and Connect N Grow and are able to deliver a variety of Australian standard qualifications to our Year 11 and 12 students. The qualifications include:
- Certificate III Business
- Certificate II and III Health Services Assistance
- Certificate III Fitness
A Certificate III level qualification is a great stand-alone achievement and ensures that students are job ready on the completion of Year 12. For more information on these courses, download our Curriculum Handbooks for 2020.
For the latest news and information about Careers and VET Services please visit the St Patrick's College Townsville Careers Website.
For More information, contact our Head of Faculty - Careers/Vocational Education – Catherine Rentoule at: email@example.com
CRICOS No. 03317K
Call in and visit us on Townsville’s Strand beachfront...Where Ambition Meets Compassion
A Ministry in Mercy Partners
Acknowledgement of Country: We give thanks and respectfully acknowledge the Gurrumbilbarra Wulgurukaba people, the Traditional Custodians of this beautiful country whose land our College shares. We recognise their ongoing deep spiritual connection to this Country, and the care they gave for thousands of years. We also acknowledge the Bindal people as the neighbouring Custodians of their Country. We pay our respects the Elders, past, present and emerging and extend that respect to other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples here today.