More pages in this section
Dare to Invent
Dare to Invent is about igniting a curiosity and passion for science in our students, knowing that they are the inventors of the future.
Our STEM program is centred on inspiring and equipping the next generation of women who show an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Our expert teaching team has designed a relevant and hands-on STEM program which encourages our students to explore, experiment, invent and innovate from the time they enter Year 7.
Opportunities to Invent:
- A broad range of STEM subjects led by dedicated teachers with a passion for innovation, many of whom have industry experience.
- Eligible entrants compete in the Opti-MINDS Creative Sustainability Challenge each year.
- Participation in the Reef Guardian Club which promotes active care for the beachfront, the College's marine tanks and sea-life, as well as opportunities to work with Reef Ecologic and partake in whale watching tours.
- Participation in the JCU Science and Engineering Challenge; Big Ideas Challenge; Australian Mathematics Competition; National Science Week Citizen Scientist Challenge.
- University STEM Engagement Programs and Activities. A Memorandum of Understanding with James Cook University establishes credit towards a Marine Science degree.
- The annual #STEMLIKEAPATSGIRL Conference, inviting girls aged 10 - 15 from all around North Queensland to join in closing the gender gap in science through mentorship. Participants work with STEM industry professionals from all over Australia in a wide variety of STEM disciplines.
- The College's unique ocean-front location allows for purposeful engagement in subjects such as Marine Science and Aquatic Practices
“I just love looking into everyday normal things that you see in life and just wanting to get a deeper understanding of how everything works.”
Charlie, Year 10
- Regional School of the Year Finalist, Australian Education Awards 2020 and 2021.
- Best STEM Program Finalist, Australian Education Awards 2020 and 2022.
- Gold Level Maths-Active School 2019/2020.
- An annual #STEMLIKEAPATSGIRL Conference - the only one of it's kind STEM initiative. 180 participants; 14 workshops; multiple guest speakers.
- A strong community focus teaches students that they can be agents of change and encourages them to have a growth mindset and the power to make a difference. Our Reef Guardian Club is one example of this, with students focussed on real issues.
- Over 140 years’ experience in educating women of the future through challenging stereotypes and providing a platform for young women to take charge of their future.
- Our four-storey STEM & Innovation Hub is due for completion in 2023. With flexible learning spaces, as well as state-of-the-art laboratories and Marine tanks, this facility will revolutionise the teaching and learning of STEM.
- An Alumni network which features generations of St Patrick's College Townsville women who are involved in inspiring our current students.
St Patrick’s College Townsville
45 The Strand (PO Box 721)
Townsville Qld 4810
T (61) 4753 0300
F (61) 4753 0336
College Absence Line:
CRICOS No. 03317K
Call in and visit us on Townsville’s Strand beachfront...Where Ambition Meets Compassion
A Ministry in Mercy Partners
Acknowledgement of Country: We give thanks and respectfully acknowledge the Wulgurukaba people, the Traditional Custodians of this beautiful country whose land our College shares. We recognise their ongoing deep spiritual connection to this Country, and the care they gave for thousands of years. We also acknowledge the Bindal people as the neighbouring Custodians of their Country. We pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging and extend that respect to other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples here today.